Human Enhancement Research, Scientists & Journals. What are the best articles, journals (3x) and meetings (9x) on human enhancement science? This article dives into human enhancement as a field of research itself.
In this article I write about these topics:
Journals human enhancement (3x)
What are the best scientific journals about human enhancement?
PS. I also have written an extensive article about the best books on human enhancement.
And what about the best articles? Of course, it depends on which subtopic or area you are focusing on. Based on the number of citations in Google Scholar, this is the top 3:
- Article Ethical issues in human enhancement by Bostrom and Roache;
- Article Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers by Allhof e.o.
- Article Moral Status and Human Enhancement by Buchanan.
If you are missing a journal or an article, leave a comment or send me a message! 📩
Human Enhancement meetings (9x)
What are international meetings on human enhancement? There a couple of seminars and conferences that I attended, as a speaker or as an attendee.
- Conference Augmented Human: scientific gathering on augmenting human capabilities;
- Conference Augmented Humans: enhance human capabilities and focus on societal change;
- Conference Beyond Humanism: focus on philosophical and ethical themes;
- Conference Brave New World: interesting mixture with scientists, artists and writers;
- Conference Biohacker Summit: pretty broad, also about improving one’s lifestyle;
- Conference CRISPRcon: about genetic engineering;
- Conference BDYHAX: open meeting with a hacker culture (conference is currently on pause)
- Conference Undoing Aging: scientific congress about increasing longevity;
- Symposium on Health Aging: European gathering about increasing lifespan.
If you organize a conference, symposium or meeting about (research on) human enhancement, please leave a comment at the bottom of this article.
What are relevant projects in this domain?
One of the themes of the SIENNA Project is human enhancement. The other themes are robotics and AI, and genomics and genetics. The SIENNA project has received funding by the European Union and is co-ordinated by the University of Twente (Netherlands) and Trilateral Research (United Kingdom).
The goal of the project is to conduct an ethical, legal and social analysis.
Other projects worth mentioning are:
- Human Enhancement and Work by the Royal Society (United Kingdom);
- Scientific Responsibility Human Rights Law by the AAAS, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (United States).
Both projects have been completed. By the way, if you are missing relevant projects: let me know!
What are the best know scientists on the area of human enhancement?
- Julian Savulescu
- Nick Bostrom
- Anders Sandberg
Some of these scientists, like Bostrom and Sandberg, are also associated with the field of transhumanism.
Julian Savulescu is an Australian philosopher and bioethicist. He is Uehiro Professor of Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford (United Kingdom).
He is a former editor and board member of the Journal of Medical Ethics (one of the journals I mentioned before). In addition to his background in applied ethics and philosophy, he also has a background in medicine.
In 2019 I interviewed Julian Savulescu for my Youtube Channel:
The Swedish philosopher Nick Bostrom was among the most prominent members of the transhumanist movement. He was the founder of the World Transhumanist Association, an association that has meanwhile merged with Humanity Plus. Bostrom is currently director of the Future of Humanity Institute, an institution affiliated with the University of Oxford in England [link below].
I firmly believe in the general principle of promoting human capabilitiesNick Bostrom
Nowadays he hardly associates himself with transhumanism and focuses primarily on the development and risks of artificial intelligence. In How to be a Machine he tells Mark O’Connel: ‘I firmly believe in the general principle of promoting human capabilities. But with the movement itself I don’t have much left. In transhumanism, technology is thus praised to heavens.’
In particular, the surrender to technology seems to be against him. In his book Superintelligence and in his work in Oxford, he advocates measures to prevent technology from sending us, as humanity, in the wrong direction.
The Swede Anders Sandberg is a writer, researcher and a convinced transhumanist [link below]. He did a PhD research on digitally simulating the brain at the University of Stockholm, Sweden.
He is currently affiliated with the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford in England. He researches radical methods to improve cognition, neuroethics, mind uploading and the life of humanity in space.
Do you want to know more about human enhancement?
Please contact me if you have any questions! Like if you want to invite me to give a lecture, presentation or webinar at your company, at your congress, symposium or meeting.
Or if you want to book a session with me as an expert consultant on this area.
I wrote these related articles about human enhancement:
- What is human enhancement?
- What are human enhancement technologies?
- What are examples of human enhancement?
- What is human genetic enhancement?
- What are human enhancement drugs?
- What are arguments in the human enhancement debate?
- What are the ethics of human enhancement?
- What are the best human enhancement books?
These are relevant books:
These are external links:
- Website Future of Humanity Institute (United Kingdom)
- Website Julian Savulescu
- Website Nick Bostrom
- Website Anders Sandberg
Do you research human enhancement? Or do you have a question? Leave a comment!