Human Enhancement Research, Scientists & Journals. What are the best articles, journals (3x) and meetings (8x) on human enhancement science?
Journals human enhancement (3x)
What are the best scientific journals about human enhancement?
PS. I also have written an extensive article about the best books on human enhancement.
And what about the best articles? Of course it depends on which subtopic or area you are focusing on. Based on the number of citations in Google Scholar, this is the top 3:
- Article Ethical issues in human enhancement by Bostrom and Roache;
- Article Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers by Allhof e.o.
- Article Moral Status and Human Enhancement by Buchanan.
Human Enhancement meetings (8x)
What are international meetings on human enhancement? There a couple of seminars and conferences that I attended, as a speaker or as an attendee.
- Conference Augmented Human: scientific gathering on augmenting human capabilities;
- Conference Beyond Humanism: focus on philosophical and ethical themes;
- Conference Brave New World: interesting mixture with scientists, artists and writers;
- Conference Biohacker Summit: pretty broad, also about improving one’s lifestyle;
- Conference CRISPRcon: about genetic engineering;
- Conference BDYHAX: open meeting with a hacker culture (conference is currently on pauze)
- Conference Undoing Aging: scientific congress about increasing longevity;
- Symposium on Health Aging: European gathering about increasing lifespan.
If you organize a conference, symposium or meeting about (research on) human enhancement, please leave a comment at the bottom of this article.
What are the best know scientists on the area of human enhancement?
- Julian Savulescu
- Nick Bostrom
- Anders Sandberg
Some of these scientists, like Bostrom and Sandberg, are also associated with the field of transhumanism.
Julian Savulescu is an Australian philosopher and bioethicist. He is Uehiro Professor of Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford (United Kingdom).
He is a former editor and board member of the Journal of Medical Ethics (one of the journals I mentioned before). In addition to his background in applied ethics and philosophy, he also has a background in medicine.
In 2019 I interviewed Julian Savulescu for my Youtube Channel:
The Swedish philosopher Nick Bostrom was among the most prominent members of the transhumanist movement. He was the founder of the World Transhumanist Association, an association that has meanwhile merged with Humanity Plus. Bostrom is currently director of the Future of Humanity Institute, an institution affiliated with the University of Oxford in England [link below].
Nowadays he hardly associates himself with transhumanism and focuses primarily on the development and risks of artificial intelligence. In Mensmachine he tells Mark O’Connel: “I firmly believe in the general principle of promoting human capabilities. But with the movement itself I don’t have much left. In transhumanism, technology is thus praised to heavens.”
In particular, the surrender to technology seems to be against him. In his book Superintelligence and in his work in Oxford, he advocates measures to prevent technology from sending us, as humanity, in the wrong direction.
The Swede Anders Sandberg is a writer, researcher and a convinced transhumanist [link below]. He did a PhD research on digitally simulating the brain at the University of Stockholm, Sweden.
He is currently affiliated with the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford in England. He researches radical methods to improve cognition, neuroethics, mind uploading and the life of humanity in space.
Do you want to know more about human enhancement?
Or if you want to book a session with me as an expert consultant on this area.
I wrote these related articles about human enhancement:
- What is human enhancement?
- What is the definition of human enhancement?
- What are human enhancement technologies?
- What are examples of human enhancement?
- What is human genetic enhancement?
- What are human enhancement drugs?
- What are arguments in the human enhancement debate?
- What are the ethics of human enhancement?
- What are the best human enhancement books?
These are external links that I used, subdivided by theme.
- Article plastic surgery South Korea
- Article modifying morality
- Article global reproduction rate
- Article quote Max Planck
Borders and laws
- Website Ovidiedo Convention
Do you research human enhancement? Or do you have a question? Leave a comment!